MVMA Mourns the Passing of
Two Maryland Veterinarians
E. Edgar Ruebush
Dr. E. Edgar Ruebush, 92, the owner
and director of the Ambassador Animal Hospital in Silver Spring
from 1943 until his retirement in 1987, died June 20, 2013 at
the Sunrise senior living community in Washington.
Ephraim Edgar Ruebush, Jr., a native
Washingtonian, was a 1938 graduate of Roosevelt High School and
earned his veterinary degree from Cornell University, following
in the footsteps of his veterinarian father, Dr. E. Edgar
Ruebush. He served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War
II, attaining the rank of captain. During his career he cared
for presidential pets and assisted with surgery on a white tiger
at the National Zoo.
He was a founder and former
president of what is now the District of Columbia Academy of
Veterinary Medicine and past president of the American Animal
Hospital Association. His other memberships included the
Maryland State Veterinary Medical Association, the Silver Spring
Rotary Club and Manor Country Club in Aspen Hill. Dr. Ruebush
was Maryland’s alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates
from 1971-1983 and was delegate from 1983-1990.
He is survived by his three
daughters; six grandchildren and eight great grandchildren.
Thomas L. Wolfle
Thomas Lee Wolfle, D.V.M., Ph.D.,
77, died at his family home, Black Dog Farm, in Cambridge,
Maryland on June 28th, 2013.
Dr. Wolfle earned his Doctor of
Veterinary Medicine in 1961 from Texas A&M University. He began
his career with the US Air Force, working on collaborative
animal behavior projects between the Air Force School of
Aerospace and NASA involving health and behavior issues during
space flight. In 1966, at the behest of NASA, he entered
graduate school at UCLA, where he studied comparative animal
behavior and the brain mechanisms of pain. In 1970 he received
his Doctorate in Philosophy, with distinction, and continued
work in animal behavior.
In 1976 he transferred his Air Force
commission to the Public Health Service and moved to the
National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. He
eventually served as Director of the Interagency Research Animal
Committee. In 1988, he joined the National Academy of Sciences
as Director of the Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources
where he improved the lives of animals in research and helped
train and educate those who used them.
Upon leaving the National Academy of
Science, Tom continued to hold memberships in numerous national
and international professional organizations. He considered two
of his professional highlights to be working with the early NASA
primates (including HAM the first chimpanzee launched to outer
space) and attaining diplomate status in both the American
College of Laboratory Animal Medicine and the American College
of Veterinary Behaviorists, of which he was a founding member.
Upon his move to the Easter Shore Dr. Wolfle became very active
in his community, working on the Board of the Dorchester Center
for the Arts; serving as Flotilla Commander for the U.S. Coast
Guard Auxiliary; and volunteering at the National Blackwater
Share This Article
Click on the icons above
to share this article with your social networks.